Food Smarts Training Program (Includes Sample Curriculum Bundle) (New)
Description: Food Smarts is a flexible, learner-centered cooking and nutrition curriculum with materials and lesson plans appropriate for K-12 youth and adults (including older adults). Participants of this training program will:
- Learn how to implement the Food Smarts nutrition and cooking program for adults and kids
- Explore the relationship between positive and adverse experiences and nourishment
- Develop trauma-informed engagement and facilitation strategies
- Learn how to facilitate virtual and in-person recipe demonstrations and group cooking activities that do not require a full kitchen.
Audience: For agency staff, volunteers, and community leaders. [If an agency has multiple participants, each participant must register separately so that their registration email address can then be added to our online training system.]
Training Delivery and Dates: This training includes self-paced content (videos, reflection activities, and readings) and live, instructor-led virtual sessions. Registered participants will gain access to our online training system (TalentLMS) beginning early-January and will need to complete about 1.5 hours of self-paced work prior to the first live session on 1/24. Participants will have access to digital curriculum files and will be mailed a Food Smarts curriculum bundle (includes an Adult workbook and instructor guide and a Kids workbook and instructor guide). Key dates are as follows:
- Self-Paced Course Opens: early-January
- Registration Closes: 1/23
- Live Zoom Sessions: 1/24 and 2/7; Times: 10am-12pm PST
NOTE: Although registration will remain open until 1/23, participants who register after 1/3 may not receive the hardcopy curriculum bundle until after the first session, in which case participants will have to rely on the digital curriculum for reference.
Total Training Time: Approximately eight hours total (four hours of live sessions and about four hours of self-paced work)
Next Steps: Upon completion of this program, participants are certified to deliver the Food Smarts Adult and Kids curriculum.
Note for CalFresh Healthy Living Participants: Please visit the new CFHL Statewide Training platform to register for this training. Email CFHLStatewideTraining@leahspantry.org if you need assistance.