Food Smarts (preview) is a flexible, learner-centered cooking and nutrition curriculum with materials and lesson plans appropriate for K-12 youth and adults (including older adults).
- The Adult and Kids Instructor Guides offer lesson plans with different class/series lengths that can be customized for your specific situation.
- Adult Workbooks are offered in English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Russian, and Korean. Kids Workbooks are offered in English.
- Included in the USDA SNAP-Ed Toolkit.
- Facilitator training is required.
- Evaluation tools are available. (Food Smarts Kids was tested with 4th and 5th graders.)
Become a Food Smarts Curriculum facilitator and deliver healthy, nutritional cooking lessons and nutrition messaging aligned with trauma-informed principles to your community.
After successfully completing Food Smarts, you will:
- Understand how to provide nutrition programs to clients effectively.
- Facilitate recipe demos and group cooking sessions using best practices.
- Establish a solid foundation in trauma-informed care, ACEs, and resilience science.
This course is eligible for SNAP-Ed funded agencies. What does this mean?
For agency staff, volunteers, and community leaders.
If an agency has multiple participants, each participant must register separately to gain access to our online training system.
Leah’s Pantry offers a variety of customizable training options. Contact us to learn more.