Around the Table
Around the Table and Around the Table: Nourishing Families (preview) are designed to build food, nutrition, and cooking literacy, while integrating social emotional learning and using trauma-sensitive facilitation. Participants enjoy hands-on cooking, facilitated conversations, and interactive activities that support healthy connections to food, self, and community.
- Around the Table is a six-week youth and young adult curriculum designed for groups of 7-15 youth, aged 14-21.
- Around the Table: Nourishing Families is a six-week adult curriculum designed for groups of 10-14 adults raising children.
- Two facilitators are recommended.
- A kitchen or community space with room for hands-on food preparation is required.
- Approved for use in California’s CalFresh Healthy Living Program (SNAP-Ed).
These programs prioritize:
- Relationship building
- Joyful experiences
- Safety and trust
- Empowerment and self care
Participants learn to:
- Cook and eat together
- Share memories and stories about food
- Explore their personal relationship to food
- Improve cooking and food resource management skills
- Learn about nutrition for good physical and mental health
- Explore healthy coping and self nourishment skills
- Plan their own menu
- Practice mindful eating, grounding, and gratitude
Become an Around the Table facilitator and bring cooking and nutrition programming to youth and caregivers in your community through a trauma-informed approach.
After successfully completing Around the Table, you will:
- Be able to create safe spaces for people to engage in personal and group reflection.
- Understand the impact positive and negative experiences make on nourishment.
- Feel comfortable using trauma-informed strategies when working with youth.
- Gain access to the Around the Table Implementer network.
Educators working with young adults and/or adult caregivers. Please note, if an agency has multiple participants, each participant must register separately to gain access to our online training system.
Self-Paced + Virtual
If an agency has multiple participants, each participant must register separately to gain access to our online training system.
Leah’s Pantry offers a variety of customizable training options. Contact us to learn more.